Eat to live longer
long and healthy
1 – Limit your maximum intake of red meat
It is best to avoid in any case red meat, even skinny because livestock is generally saturated with hormones and antibiotics used by factory farms , partly because it takes longer to raise a cow or a pig a chicken. Furthermore, this meat is often high in cholesterol, and there is a risk of infection with prions, due to mad cow.
At worst, eat red meat organic, but try to favor white meat and fish rich in EPA / DHA include salmon. Take organic if you can.
2 – Emphasize the good fats
Ie fats Omega 3 and Omega 6 instead of saturated and unsaturated fats bad (for an explanation of what are the saturated and unsaturated fats, see Chapter 6: Fats and protein Will we be immortal?).
To do this, focus on the following foods:
- the nuts
- The fish rich in EPA and DHA, including salmon (wild salmon contains more than farmed salmon) and having low levels of mercury.
- Oil olive extra-virgin (this last point is very important).
- Of flax seed and linseed oil pressed naturally.
- Of vegetables .
- The tofu .
- Lean meats, especially white meat ( chicken, turkey ). Obviously, it is preferable to select high range poultry without hormones and without antibiotics.
And definitely avoid:
- Saturated fats from fatty meats , butter, milk and other animal products.
- Oils commercial kitchen (still prefer their olive oil extra virgin).
- Hydrogenated fats margarine or vegetable fats and almost all commercial baked goods.
- Fry fryer . It is best to blow high heat using the olive oil extra virgin, and the best is to put water in a wok, add a small amount of oil, and cook for a short time at medium or moderate temperature.
3 – Good chewing is very important for our health
Indeed, swallow too large pieces before they have been properly shredded and mixed with saliva causes the gut to secrete higher amounts of powerful digestive enzymes, which can cause excess gas and bloating, and with time harming the stomach. So take your time when eating.
4 – Eat 5 fruits and vegetables a day
Here is the advice given by the official flagship program of the Ministry of Health, Eat Move rightly.
The benefits of eating fresh vegetables, natural and low in starch are innumerable: they contain a myriad of valuable nutrients and fiber and have a low glycemic index and caloric density. It should however be careful not to over cook them: too much cooking would make them lose their vitamins, their phytochemicals and other nutrients. The ideal is a light steaming , or raw consumption for some of them.
Warning, this is 5 servings of fruits and vegetables: Eat 3 radishes and two grapes obviously not enough! And it is quite possible to eat 10 servings: 5 is the recommended minimum. Tip: instead of counting the number of fruits and vegetables you eat, which can be painful, just think to ensure that half of every meal should consist of vegetables or fruit.
Consider eating well colored products: By eating whole series of naturally colored vegetables, you get a whole series of vital nutrients.
You can also drink freshly squeezed vegetable juice: putting fresh vegetables, natural and low in starch in a juicer, you get one of the healthiest drinks that is, low in calories, rich in vitamins and minerals. The best vegetables for this are celery, cucumber and fennel, and you can use small amounts of red and green leaves of Roman, endive, escarole, spinach, parsley or kale. Avoid sugar-rich vegetables such as beets or carrots.
5 – Drink tea instead of coffee
Many tea ingredients are good for health. A recent study published in the Journal of the American Hearth Association (American Heart Association) found that drinking two cups of tea a day reduced the risk of death by heart attack in the remarkable 44% (Tea consumption and mortality after-acute myocardial infarction). This finding applies to black tea and green tea, not herbal teas. Tea also contains L-threonine, which reduces cortisol and promotes relaxation. The most beneficial tea is green tea , with extra antioxidants that reduce the risk of heart disease or cancer. Try to take your tea without sugar (see next tip).
6 – strongly Reduce your sugar intake
When we consume food containing a lot of sugar, the blood sugar rises rapidly and pancreas responds by secreting insulin immediately lot , which regulates glucose, by contributing to the pass into the cells. This keeps blood sugar under control, but these temporary insulin spikes often exceed their target and cause blood glucose levels too low, leading to a more intense need for sugar – a vicious circle!
Over time, continual abuse of this cycle that the body cells develop lower sensitivity to insulin . This insulin resistance is a major cause of metabolic syndrome, and can also lead to type 2 diabetes, which is that whatever the amount of insulin produced by the body, the blood glucose is still too high.
Many problems are caused by excessive levels of blood glucose , as an inhibition of the immune system, favoring the growth of pathological cells such as fungal infections and cancers, competition with vitamin C, which follows the same transport system, and who is thus hampered in its mission to fight against infections and the development of body tissues, etc.
We must therefore avoid as much too high-sugar foods and favor those with glycemic index (GI).
7 – Eat Anticancer
The recommendations of the authors of immortal Will we? to prevent the maximum the development of cancer, those who join many of Dr. David Servan-Schreiber in Anticancer:
– Drink vegetable juice : start your day with a glass of 225 to 350 ml of fully depressed vegetable juice as part of your breakfast. Mix the juice of a few cucumbers, broccoli, kale, cabbage, a carrot (but not more to avoid excess sugar) and other green vegetables. This will bring you almost half your needs before even leaving your home. Obviously Opt for organic vegetables.
– Adopt the Mediterranean diet : low in red meat and giving priority to whole grains, fish and fresh fruit and vegetables, has been associated with many benefits, including a reduced risk of cancer. The Mediterranean diet also uses generous amounts of extra-virgin olive oil, fresh tomatoes, tomato sauce, and cooked tomatoes.
– Avoid white Satan: white sugar . Cancer cells consume very eagerly this sugar, and can inhibit the formation of cancer by avoiding the foods glycemic load is high.
– Have a physical activity : physical activity was associated with a lower incidence of cancer, in contrast to a sedentary lifestyle. Adults should practice moderate activity for at least 150 minutes per week, obtained by any combination, with a minimum of 10 minutes per session. Children and teenagers should practice moderate to vigorous physical activity for at least 60 minutes a day.
– Avoid pesticides : Exposure to agricultural chemicals has been linked to many cancers. Farmers have an increased risk of stomach cancer by 40%, 50% rectum, larynx 40% and prostate cancer by 40%. It is therefore important to eat organic food.
– Lose your excess weight : being overweight or obese is an independent factor for various cancers.
– Avoid tobacco : this seems obvious, and it is. The list of diseases related to cigarette smoke is as the little black book of the Angel of Death. Smoking increases the risk of cancer in all tissues that tobacco smoke button at its input channels (lungs, mouth, throat, larynx), its output channels (kidneys and bladder) and of different locations between these tract (cervix, pancreas). Smoking also increases very significantly the risk of cardiovascular diseases, including myocardial infarction, sudden cardiac death and stroke. And smoking significantly increases the risk of lung problems such as emphysema, asthma, chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive Pneumo-pathy (COPD), etc. And this is only a partial list! The authors therefore recommend, if you smoke, you engage immediately in a smoking cessation program.
8 – Take regular exercise
Here are the various benefits of the practice of regular activity:
- Reduction of disease risk
- Reducing blood pressure
- Increased strength of ligaments and tendons
- Stress reduction and aid in healing and depression
- Improved sleep
- Reduced risk of more types of cancer (including colorectal, prostate and breast)
- Improved physical appearance
- Improved self-confidence
- Strengthening bones, osteoporosis risk reduction
- Increased energy
One study found that the overall death rate of a group that practiced an average physical activity was 60% lower than the sedentary control group.
It is best to practice aerobic exercise (with oxygen) regularly . This speeds up the rhythm of your heart and your breathing and increase air consumption. This type of business includes sports such as walking, swimming, cycling, rowing and cross-country skiing . A key aspect of this activity is that it involves at least 20 minutes of continuous effort and rhythm of the most important muscles in all parts of the body: that our heart also benefits from the significant effort but short asked in some sports like tennis or basketball, they are not optimal forms of aerobic exercise.
9 – Massage and get a massage
Stress leads to stimulation of the adrenal cortex, which produces a hormone: cortisol. Cortisol causes a very significant but temporary increase in energy and a stimulation of the brain’s memory centers to work more quickly. Other hormones are secreted during stress, including adrenaline and noradrenaline.
These hormones are very powerful: they stop almost the digestive process, increase blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol levels, the rate of fibriogène, the rhythm of heartbeat and breathing. This mechanism, designed to activate if occasionally suffers physical danger, is still useful at times, but its continuous activation is a major factor in heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, cancers , rheumatoid arthritis, depression and acceleration of aging.
There are many ways to fight against stress, and massage is one that probably is not used enough in our society.
This practice has recognized many positive effects:
- Soothes and calms
- Relieves pain
- Improves sleep
- Increases breathing capacity
- Improves digestion and reduces constipation
- Improves blood and lymphatic circulation, resulting in better oxygenation and better elimination of toxins
- Improves skin health
- Increases awareness of emotions
- Increases self-esteem and self-worth
- Contributes to openness and stress resistance
You can indulge yourself by offering professional massage services, and of course do this « amateur » with your spouse, or even practice your own self-massage: for example, massage your shoulders up look with your fingers the shoulder blades, and yawn while you are doing this massage. This small automassage feasible in all circumstances is very relaxing and you can relax easily in almost any situation.
If you massage or massage you are an amateur, do not forget the massage oil, that makes all the difference between amateurs and connoisseurs 😉. You can also make automassages with massage oil
10 – Meditate
Another royal road to fight against stress is meditation. As I indicated in my column The Art of Meditation, many scientific studies – such as this one (Harvard University), it (University of Montreal) or this one (see also Conferences Mind & Life Institute or all these other studies) – have discovered or proven many benefits to the practice of meditation , such as:
- A considerable reduction of stress
- A reduction in anxiety, tendency to anger and depressive tendencies
- A significant enhancement of the immune system
- A strengthening of positive emotions and faculties of attention
- A decrease in blood pressure in hypertensive
If you can implement these daily habits, studies are clear: your chances of living a long, healthy, happy and relaxed will be greatly improved , and your chances of dying prematurely from a serious illness such as cancer or heart disease will be greatly diminished. It is up to you. But do not forget: « Everything in moderation, including moderation. » If you fall horse, give you saddle right away: many programs have been abandoned by people discouraged after a temporary failure. Remember to make small differences, as the bulk of your diet remains healthy .
Get more about nutrition